The 7th International Congress on Couples and Family Psychoanalysis: Who is the Couple? Who is the Family? Creating New Therapeutic Possibilities
I’m very pleased to announce that the 7th Annual IPA Congress on Couple and Family psychoanalysis will be held in San Francisco on February 6-9, 2020. It will be co-sponsored by the San Francisco Center for Psychoanalysis (SFCP) and the IPA Committee on Couple and Family Psychoanalysis (COFAP), with the supporting organizations of the Psychoanalytic Couple Psychotherapy Group, the Psychoanalytic Center of Northern California, Tavistock Relationships, and the International Association for Couple and Family Psychoanalysis.
The pre-congress will be Thursday 2/6/20 at SFCP and the main congress will be Friday through Sunday, 2/7/2020-2/9/2020, at the Hotel Intercontinental. The theme of the congress is: Who is the Couple? Who is the Family? Creating NewTherapeutic Possibilities. We plan to explore treatment of contemporary couple and family diversity. There will be a strong international presence, with presentations from psychoanalytic couple and family practitioners from all over the world.
This conference is open to all clinicians- you do not need to be a psychoanalyst or member of IPA to attend.
If you wish to submit a proposal for a paper or presentation, please read the “Call For Proposals” tab.
Hope to see you in San Francisco next year!
Leora Benioff, PhD
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
This conference is intended to create a space to think together about changes in contemporary couple and family structure, and how our theory and clinical approaches can adapt to encompass today’s rich variety of family and couple relationships.We welcome original, creative proposals from psychoanalytically-oriented couple and family therapists. We are interested in clinical, case- based presentations, advances in theoretical understanding, and contributions on therapeutic technique.
- All submissions are to be submitted as a Microsoft Word document and emailed to [email protected] Please don't submit a proposal in the body of an email. You will receive a confirmation email within 7 days of submission. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please re-send. If you still receive no confirmation, call Leora Benioff ,+1 (415) 563-6133.
- All presenters in the scientific program are required to pay a registration fee. Acceptance of a contribution must be confirmed with a paid registration.
- All patient information submitted in a proposal should be appropriately disguised.
- The submission deadline for this February 2020 conference is May 15, 2019.
- Notification of the review committee decision will be sent by email by July 1, 2019.
Proposal Submission Guidelines
- Please send a 100 – 150 word description of proposed presentations as an and two educational objectives, which will be printed in the program if your proposal is accepted, attached as a word document.
- Put “SF 2020 Conference Paper Proposal” in the subject line and email to [email protected].
- Presentations will be accepted for either 20 minutes or 40 minutes reading time (2200 or 4400 words plus any references).
Special Format Presentations
If you have a proposal for a presentation that doesn't exactly fit traditional paper presentation format, we may still be interested. Please submit it as a Special Format Presentation, with a 100-150 word description attached as a word document. Put SF 2020 Conference Special Format Presentation proposal in the subject matter of the email, and send to [email protected].
If you are interested in serving as a discussant for an accepted paper, please send an email so indicating to [email protected]. Please put SF 2020 Conference Discussant in subject line.
Couple and Family Committee of the International Psychoanalytic Association
San Francisco Center for Psychoanalysis
Supporting Organizations Include:
Psychoanalytic Couple Psychotherapy Group
Psychoanalytic Institute Of Northern California
International Association for Couple and Family Psychoanalysis